Blogs et traduction
A quick update just to tell you that I have added another book to my "Ideal Bookcase": The Entrepreneurial Linguist - A business-school approach to freelance translation from the Translation Twins Judy and Dagmar Jenner (who also have an excellent blog).
I haven't had the time to read it yet (I just gave it a glance during NETA Annual Conference), but it is already a must-read for any freelancer who'd like to be have a entrepreneurial approach to translation. Oh, and by the way, it is illustrated by Mox!
By the way, Facebook addicts can now "like" NJATB's page on FB, where they'll find nice tips and other news on translation. You may either click on the FB button on top of the page or click right here.
Tout un métier
Reminder: this is only a recap of the French article. To read the full post, click on the French flag on the upper right corner of the page.
With each passing day, I'm amazed by the power of Twitter. I had already used it to get an idea of the typical translator's desk, and it did not fail me either when I tried to list the essential readings for translators. Ever wondered what books you should have on your bookshelves? Here are 20 books chosen by translators, for translators. (You can also check the (other) "20 Best Books for Language Lovers" on the website onlinecollege.com.)
Back to basics:
- Baker M.,In Other Words: a Coursebook on Translation, Routledge, 1992
- Bellos D., Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything, Faber & Faber, 2011
- Eco U., Experiences in Translation, University of Toronto Press, 2000
- Jenner J. & D., The Entrepreneurial Linguist - A business-school approach to freelance translation, EL Press, 2010
- Jones M.H., The Beginning Translator's Workbook: Or the ABC of French to English Translation, University Press of America, 1997
- McKay C., How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator, Lulu.com, 2006
- Montgomery S.L., Science in Translation, University of Chicago Press, 2e édition, 2000
- Munday J., Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications, Routledge, 2e édition, 2008
- Soffer M., The Translator's Handbook, Shengold Publishers, 7e édition, 2009
Develop your activity and skills:
-Learn how to proofread and manage projects in French:
-Some marketing tips in English:
- Ariely D., Predictably Irrational, HarperCollins, 2008
- Cialdini, R., Influence: the Psychology of Persuasion, Collins, 2006
- Harford T., The Undercover Economist, Oxford University Press, 2005
-Productivity and personal development:
Your special bonus (if you can read French): two three novels on translation
(Thanks to Wendy, Katerina, Nad, Blandine, Clémence, Valérie, Corinne, François, Céline, Fanny, Eve and Chloé)